Friday, June 29, 2007

Today I hit a bear

Today I hit a bear. Really.

I was in Don's car heading south on 23, talking to Don on my cell, using ear bud, and all of a sudden a bear hops over the guard rail and runs across the 2 lanes. I put on my brakes, stayed in my lane and ... hit the bear. All the time I'm saying, "Oh my god, there's a bear ... oh my god, I hit a bear!" And Don is thinking "my car! my car!"

Before I could even react, the bear rolled on the pavement in front of my car, got back on his/her legs and ran across the rest of the road and into the woods.

I was stunned. And, I realized, stopped in a lane on a busy road on a bend. Fortunately no one was behind or around me so I drove off. Now Don is saying, "stop the car, check my car!" I pulled over and there was no sign of the bear ... not even a hair or two. And no blood.


It was like a non-event. Except that it wasn't! I have seen many deer run across the road and many dead at the side of the road, but I have never seen a bear on the road, until now ... and I had to hit it!!!

(Sorry that the bear didn't wait for me to take a photo for my blog, rather inconsiderate.)

No comments: