Thursday, April 26, 2007

MoMA Day


Today I went to the MoMA for the first time. It is in a beautiful, recently renovated, building in the heart of mid-town Manhattan. I was as impressed with the building as I was with their collections. Every walkway has a view through to other floors and down to the first floor, and every window looks out onto nearby buildings or the interesting sculpture garden.

The highlight of any modern collection is the Impressionist floor for me. The MoMA holds many famous pieces and a good cross-section of most of the familiar artists. We also toured some of the current exhibits.

It was an wonderful day, and, as my friend put it, "It feels like we're on vacation." And really it did, meandering around with people speaking many different languages, docents leading their school groups, and being able to break away from the usual routine for a day.

No comments: