Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Crossword Addiction

I love crossword puzzles. My parents have done them for years, but I was never especially interested until I saw my friend, Linda, doing them at the bus stop when we lived in Maryland. We both had kindergartners at the time (which means that you spend your entire day at the bus stop, or so it seems). I started to bring my crossword puzzle to the bus stop too.

Mondays we didn't need much help, but by Thursday and Friday, we would sit on the curb working through the tougher clues together long after our girls had hopped on the bus. I owe my addiction to Linda. Then there were the follow-up phone calls when a new brainwave hit one of us. Every crossworder knows that a short break from the puzzle can net a windfall of new possible solutions when you return. The brain works on them all day. All you need is just one more word and away you go again, square by square, towards another solved puzzle.


Crossword puzzle people are easily spotted because they use words like "philatelist" in a sentence (Pete) or they prefer to commute by train rather than by car so they can work on puzzles (Denise) or they are never anywhere without a pen nearby, including the water closet (Me).

For those who are with me on this crossword craze, check out the movie
Wordplay. It is great. I laughed at myself at one point when I was feeling the suspenseful build-up to who was going to win the annual NYTimes crossword contest, as if I was watching Rocky (the first one!)!!! The thrill of victory and oh the agony of defeat. It is a documentary featuring Will Shortz with appearances by John Stewart and others.

I'm not crossword contestant material but I have learned a few tricks of the trade ... which I've been known to discuss at dinner parties! Alas.

No comments: