Sunday, April 22, 2007

What a weekend!

We are having a beautiful weekend here after a few weeks of rain and cooler temps. Perfect for doing some yard work and opening all the windows. Yesterday, after running a few errands we had our first fire of the season in the backyard (right). I think it was just so nice to be finished with such a sad, emotional week as we heard the tragic details at VA Tech. My heart goes out to the families & friends, and to all of us who are affected in some way.

Kitchen Reno update:
The demolition begins May 7, revised 2 weeks due to a revised cabinet delivery date of May 21st (week of). We did receive our sample cabinet door and still like it, thank goodness. Yesterday, we looked at granite slabs at a warehouse in Jersey City. We have never done this before. Its very daunting, winding your way through mountains of granite, trying to decide what might work. We have reserved 2 slabs, and brought home a teeny piece from which we are supposed to extrapolate to a full kitchen in our minds. This is no small choice, impact-wise and costwise ... but how can you ever be sure of any of your choices until its all done - and then its too late if you've made a mistake.

Then there's the packing up and preparation. I have packed up about 70% of the kitchen, finding all kinds of junk we never use. We have enough Nestle mugs to open a store. Today I covered the dining room furniture and moved it all to the far wall from the kitchen. Still lots to do, and still there will be a last minute panic I'm sure.

Other:
I'm just back from 3 days in Dallas doing an interesting study. Always fun for me to see my colleagues again since I work from home. Don was in Chicago for part of the week while kids managed a couple of meals on their own - I think "Wendy" helped one of the nights. Spring Hockey season begins tonight with Bryan playing, Don coaching and me managing. (Carolyn cheering? She'll be home getting ready for the coming week.)

Car:
My poor car is still in the body shop and I don't know when it will be ready. I will likely get a rental this week now that I'll be home for the next few weeks. My arm is doing fine.

... and now you know the rest of the story.

No comments: