Sunday, April 15, 2007

Feeling lucky


Oh-la-la, yesterday I had a car accident. I was pulling into a parking lot that is wide open off a windy road. I don't usually go to this store although I've been there before. I was checking for oncoming traffic as I was going forward, saw open parking spots, turned left into the lot, and then all of a sudden I was stopped dead with my air bags deployed. I hit a telephone pole! I did not see it at all. It sits on its own in the middle of a wide open entrance to this store. I'm guessing that the angle I turned in on put the pole right along the frame of my side window and windshield, but I didn't see it until I hit it!

Luckily I am fine, I was alone, and no other cars came along to hit me. No one else was involved. It happened so fast, as you know if you've ever been in an accident that you hadn't seen coming. I've only been in a couple of smaller accidents and in my worst one, I saw the guy coming for me from behind. That was worse because I tensed. Ouch! This one, I was relaxed as can be! I only bruised the inside of my right arm, which I can only guess was from the steering wheel. Yes, I was wearing a seat belt - no I wasn't on my cell, changing the radio station, sipping coffee or putting on make-up.

Again luckily, a man heard it and came to see if I was okay and two other drivers stopped to help. When I finally had the presence of mind to look at the man who was there, I realized I knew him - the father of one of Carolyn's friends. He stayed with me until Don came (I was only about 10 minutes from home), which was so nice of him and the store gave me ice for my arm. So the car will be repaired and my arm is doing fine - nothing broken. No one else was involved. Phew.

Even though it happened I feel lucky. Drive safely and buckle up!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope your "dirty" fingers return to normal soon!