Friday, October 5, 2007

"Old" Friends from The Hat

This is one of my oldest friends, Colleen, pictured here with one of her very cute granddaughters. I met Colleen back in grade 1, I think, in Medicine Hat when she moved into the yellow house across the street from us. We have stayed in touch off and on since then, even after we moved back to Toronto and she later moved to various places within B.C., now living on Vancouver Island. (Can you tell her background is Irish!?!) The last time we saw each other in person was in 1980 in the Okanagan, where she had her first child. I was still at Western then. Different paths but still we've managed to cross into each other's lives a few times along the way.

From my days in "The Hat" I have kept in touch with 3 girlfriends - still, after all these years. Colleen is one. Then there's Maureen who I keep in touch with less often but whenever we talk, we talk! She is my very first friend - apparently we were friends at 2, calling each other "Baby!" And the other is Marleen who I have seen the most. She went to UBC in Vancouver and has stayed there in a great home not far from the beach. It has been easiest to stay in touch with Marleen because I used to go to Vancouver on business with AT&T, and we vacationed out there a few times. We have always enjoyed getting together.

Our communication has changed from strictly letter writing, to the occasional phone call, to the occasional email. Face-to-face is rare unfortunately. I have great memories of my childhood in Medicine Hat and so nice to know I can still keep in touch with that time through these 3 good "old" friends.

Funny thing is that years later, while working at Ontario Place one summer, I met another Colleen. One day we found out, quite by accident, that we both lived in Medicine Hat, Alberta at the same time! We learned that our parents knew of each other though various "dos" (as my mom would say) - I think we'd say PARTIES! Colleen has remained a good friend too even though we have both moved many times ... and you think its tough keeping track of me!


The Medicine Hat chapter of my life will always be a part of me. Thanks girlfriends!

No comments: