Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Facebook


I am obviously not the target market for Facebook because I don't get it. If I want to talk to you, I'll either phone, email or, if you're on msn, I might IM you. I can leave a message or send a text if calling. I can attach all kinds of info and photos or enclose links if email. Ditto with IM. I can even expound on minute details of my life in this blog. (Which is fun for me, if not my reader(s)!)

Now I have a Facebook account and I get 'invited' to be 'friends' with other people just like I got invites to be on LinkedIn. I've checked out a few friends' profiles, added a map, sent 'gifts' ... so far its not fun. Is this an age thing or am I not getting it?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think it works best when all your 'friends' are actively involved in posting info...kind of like a blog...blogging is more fun when people comment on your posts, right?

Plus I think facebook is more about 'networking' than about communicating in real time as in your note about calling or emailing or IMing...all these people connected to all these other people...network, network, network.

Whatever, it's not for everyone...us old fogies might just prefer the "old fashioned" methods (i.e., email, IM, and, yes, telephone.)