Wednesday, January 17, 2007

First Things First

Sometimes you hear things that stick with you forever. Stephen Covey's 'First Things First' has stuck with me. Not that I read the book, although I am a reader, but I saw him speak about this book when it first came out in 1994.

I always ask myself, "If I could only get one thing done today, what would it have to be?" I try to include something work-related and something personal. Sometimes the only thing that HAS to be done is quite small, but it HAS to be done. And by doing it I'll be able to move forward in some way.

Instead of being stressful, this is incredibly calming. I know what I have to do, and I just do it. Anything else that comes up during the day or that gets done is really just gravy. Not to say that some days don't have more MUST DOs than others, or that my MUST DOs don't even get considered because of others' needs, but if I think about, I can usually get at least one of mine done.

As long as I get something DONE every day, I'm moving forward. At least I feel like I am, and that feels good.

No comments: