Monday, February 11, 2013

Singer Island Firsts

Since Don and I have become official condo owners, just over a year ago, we have often remarked on how "the ocean is different every day," which I put in quotes because it sounds like something my parents probably said but I didn't pay too much attention to at the time. (Sorry, Mom.) So I thought I'd start a new Label for my own purposes to start to track some of these "firsts" or "never seen befores."

To play catch-up, here are the firsts noted to date:

  • bait fish so thick that they literally fall out of the water leaping over top of each other (Sep 2011)
  • hurricane Sandy storm surge damage (Oct 2012)
  • sailboat washed up onto the public beach (Oct 2012)

This boat slowly broke up after days of being pounded by the surf.

  • search and rescue mission for a swimmer lost in a rip tide current at the inlet (Feb 2013)

Very sadly, a group of us watched a search and  rescue attempt on Feb 9 (Sat.). The swimmer, a 44 yr old man,
disappeared after saving an 11-yr old girl. He was not found. I'm in this photo with Marsha, my neighbor, which appeared in the Palm Beach Post. I feel so badly for the family and friends of this man who were waiting and
watching with us. Who thinks that when they wake up in the morning, today will be their last. :(

  • pipe repair barge in the inlet (pipes carry sand to keep the inlet at its required depth) (Feb 2013)

Several tug boats surround this massive barge.

  • Toby in Florida (Jan/Feb 2013)

Toby watching the birds soar  between the condos.
As Vicki said, he just needs a 'Kittini' for cocktail hour!
I know there are more firsts but this gets me started.

No comments: