Friday, May 21, 2010

Cheers! Salut! Santé! To your health!

A nice way to start the weekend ... cheers!

In my latest book, "Lunch in Paris - A Love Story with Recipes" by Elizabeth Bard and recommended to me by my sis-in-law, Vicki, there is a line that I related to (pg 39):


We toasted. "Dans les yeux," Gwendal said, meeting my eyes. "It's bad luck to toast if you're not looking directly at someone."

Don and I had never heard this until we met our Montreal friends, Claude and Louise, on a blind date in Baltimore. We had met over the phone, realized we were both Canadians, and arranged to meet for dinner. I remember Claude clinking glasses with me and waiting ... finally I looked up at him, rather than at our glasses, to see what the problem was and as soon as our eyes met he continued to the next person. You can't fully "cheers" without making eye contact.

Don and I have looked our fellow clinkers in the eye ever since. It is such a nice way to pause and really acknowledge your friends if only for an instant. Try it, you'll like it.

(A daughter of our friends, who is 10 years old, always does cheers with us with an exaggerated leer ever since Don "taught" her - its pretty funny.)

No comments: