Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Personal space

I'm one that needs her personal space. I'm not one that likes people standing too close, especially strangers. Its hard to manage your personal space on an airplane, but most people, big and small, work hard to stay within their alloted minuscule space, i.e. the narrow space between armrests.

Except the person beside me when I rode back from Florida. She was amazingly unaware of any personal space courtesies. It was irritating me until Carolyn, my daughter, leaned over and said, "Forget about it mom. Pretend you're on that show where if you can tolerate the person without losing your temper for an hour you'll win $100." This completely changed my perspective and became a challenge - a game to pass the time away while I was bashed in the arm countless times.

And in hindsight I find the whole situation funny. Here are some of the things my seatmate did:
  • Set her carry-on bag down on my foot and let my leg support it during take-off
  • Massive sighs and massive shifting in her chair rocking the row
  • Asked if she could put her lunch garbage on my tray (I said 'yes' thinking she was getting up to go the bathroom - she then made herself comfortable and didn't move, except to reach across me to drink from her cup on my tray!)
  • Slammed me across the chest with her arm
  • Hit my arm to talk to me even when I was reading or talking to Carolyn
Okay, it was very weird but I did realize later that she had some issues. She was met by someone as soon as she got off the plane and helped out of the terminal to where some anxious person was probably relieved for her safe arrival.

Where's my $100?!


No comments: